Friday, July 19, 2013

Thinking about buying a Kufi...

As -Salaam Alaykum All!
 
 

My post today is completely out of the norm and somewhat odd -in that it is a post about an item of clothing that is common not to the Muslim Women but to the Muslim Man.  What is this item of clothing you ask?  It's none other than the ELUSIVE KUFI lol! I know, I know, what does this have to do with a "Reformed Hijabi"? Well, nothing really-I just wanted to post this piece because anyone who reads anything by me can tell that I am very much "a nostalgic" and a fan of yesteryear- I really can't say why that is, because I definitely LOVE how Islamic Fashion has evolved over the years and I have an appreciation like no other -insert this picture here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
(yeah I used to wear that :-D) for the variety of choices one has in how to express his/her "Islamic Identity." Perhaps my penchant for the past is due to  my longing for how personal things used to be-ya know when the jilbab you wore was made by sister so and so, or the time in energy that it took going to the fabric store and deciding which fabric you wanted your next khimar to be made from, and then folding over and sewing the edges lol.  I suppose I miss that brotherhood/sisterhood-you know that  sense of community that existed within the Muslim community.....So, without further adieu I would like to share a post on Facebook that was made by a brother-a former MSA-er (Muslim Student Association Member) on his thoughts on buying a Kufi :-)



"Thinking about buying a Kufi......

Back in the day before Islam was "popular", before there were stores at Broad & Olney and Germantown & Chelten and all the "urban high-traffic" spots, before the Islamic Place... You would get your Kufi from a PERSON...

I remember around Eid time there was a brother that would actually go to the houses of the Muslims with his kufis. He would sit and talk a bit as he displayed his wares; he knew us. My Dad would pick matching Kufis and the bro would pull out the different sizes and fit us...

The selection was much more limited- you might go to the Eid prayer and see 4 or 5 other people with the same kufi on (nodding like ahhh you went to Bro. Fulan too, huh?)- but the strengthening of the bonds of brotherhood between the buyers and seller more than made up for it.

It was the same thing with oils... A bro would come back from overseas and people would be hype to have him over and host little get-togethers so he could spend time with the brothers and they could re-up on the oils...

Just my random thoughts as I ponder kufi purchaseage..."


No comments:

Post a Comment