Monday, July 1, 2013

Islamic Libas Review

As Salaam Alaykum ALL :-)

 (Sigh) I should be working on this Power Point for one of my grad classes.  But I'd rather much do a review on one of the Islamic Libas that I purchased from Abaya Boutique (formally known as IslamicLibas.com:-)  An Islamic Liba you say (in my British Accent)??!!! What on Earth is an Islamic Liba????!!!! Well, according to the website the words
Islamic Libas is derived from the Arabic word "Islamiya Libas" which means Islamic clothing.  See ya learn something new everyday:-) Well, I know I did:-) Anyways, let me give you a little background on this  little Abaya Boutique that is based in the UK. Well apparently it has been around since 1995 and the company specializes in a modest array of abayahaat, hijabs, and accessories.  Side Note: I don't know guys why I have this OBESSION with ALL THINGS BRITISH....But when I come across a website that is UK based I instantly gravitate towards it.  As far as Abayaat is concerned I feel like the UK is cutting edge (as far as western style abayaat go) they do a fantastic job with incorporating traditional abayaat elements into their design without making them too over the top. In my opinion Western Abayaat are usually bad imitations of designs from overseas or just toooooo "Plain Jane"-think choir robe. But we are getting better (think BulBul Clothing and Shukr):-)  Authentic Dubai Abayas are just waaaaaaaaay too flashy for me and have way too much fabric for me to deal with out here on these country roads.  But UK designs are just right.  So it didn't take me long to fill up my shopping cart and check out....UNTIL I SAW THAT $35 shipping fee!!! WHEW!!!Yep $35 So I thought about it for two weeks and two weeks later I spent the $35 S&H for three abayaat (hey, its cheaper then flying there :-)  So, the first Abaya I will review from Abaya's Boutique is one of the new lined abayas that I purchased in grape.  I think the price was $61.50 (which is average for an abaya I think).  These lined abayas are made from a high quality Crepe fabric (I looooooove crepe! it's moves and swishes with you and its cool,....... but it also stains easily lol)! I do own Crepe abayaat that you can wash, however the label on this particular garment says to dry clean-so that's what I did. This garment has a minimalist look to it - which means it is very simple and has little detail. 
The garment features are a Mandarin Collar, Zip opening, Two deep discreet side pockets, and Shoulder pads.  Ewwwwwwww, I know shoulder pads!!! It reminds me of the Jordanian garments that I wore back in the day lol!  But I really wanted a Crepe abaya and the fabric selection in my neck of the woods is hit or miss so I overlooked the shoulder pads (with clinched teeth) and just sucked it up.  This abaya's cut is uber traditional, its wide, it's lose, its actually an abaya and NOT A DRESS....oooooh, this is new for me lol!!!  My garments tend to be "ahem" tailored.....but I made a "Ramadaan Resolution" to incorporate more modest fitting abayaat into my wordrobe ;-) And this one is a modest one!  It really took some getting used to.  But, I have been wearing this one for quite a bit now. I am not sure why, I suppose its due to the simplicity of the design and I just really love the fabric.  So, let's move on to Pros and Cons.
 I would say the Pros of the garment was the quality, fabric, the length and size were perfect, and its nursing friendly. Cons: was the color (the abaya on the website almost looks lavender.  The abaya is actually a deep gray/lavender color), shoulder pads, and this weird seam down the front-I'm not sure what the purpose of it serves. All in all I liked this garment. And I am getting a lot of wear out of it-mainly due to the fact that Francesca's and Target had the perfect shaylas available to match it.  Buuuuuuut I don't like it enough to buy it again in the second color that they had available which is a slate blue color. So what do you guys think of the new modest me lol?? Does it fit ok or does it look as if I am swimming in it?   


1 comment: